Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Xavier to fight charges

Middlesbrough defender Abel Xavier has vowed to fight his positive drug test.

The Portuguese international failed a test that followed last months Uefa Cup tie with Xanthi, but the 32-year-old insists there is an innocent explanation.

In a statement Xavier said: "I am convinced there is a harmless explanation. "In order to furnish this proof, I am undergoing a number of tests." If found guilty he could face a two-year ban, which is likely to finish his career at his current level.

His statement continued: "As agreed with my employer, on Monday evening Middlesbrough informed the press that in the anti-doping control I had to undergo after the above-mentioned Uefa Cup match, I tested positive. "

This positive test result was found in the ’A’ sample. In the course of next week, the ’B’ sample will be analysed. "I am convinced that there is a reasonable and entirely harmless explanation for such positive finding, should it be confirmed by the analysis of the ’B’ sample. In order to furnish this proof, I am currently undergoing a number of tests in which certain of my body fluids and tissues are analysed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home